Autumn is a beautiful time of year to be outside. The leaves are changing. The air is crisp and cool. The smell of autumn is intoxicating. And it’s the perfect running temperature for an early evening jog.
Autumn is upon us and here are 5 reasons to go running during fall!
1. The Beautiful Scenery: Especially in the northern part of the United States, Autumn is an unbelievably beautiful season. All the colors of the trees changing make a beautiful backdrop to a run along a wooded trail or along a river front. If you’re looking for reasons to run during fall, this is a great one. A run is made much easier when you can distract yourself with beautiful scenery. The change in colors can also help old running paths feel fresh again and rejuvenate your run.
2. Perfect Running Temperatures: The cool, crisp air of autumn is perfect for a nice brisk run. The chill in the air gives you just the right motivation to get moving and it keeps you feeling comfortable as your body heats up from the exercise. Your blood gets flowing but your sweat doesn’t. You feel better and more hydrated all through your run, and at the end you feel nice and warm without overheating.
3. Reduce Your Holiday Food Guilt: The holidays are a time of year when we collectively overindulge on food and sweets that normally are consumed in moderation. That’s definitely a good reason to run during the fall season. Getting out and being active this autumn has the added perk of being able to stave off the guilt of too many indulgent dinners and the extra pounds that come with them.
4. Holiday Themed Runs: It’s the holiday season and everyone is just looking to have fun, and that extends to the group runs that are organized this time of year. There are themes, costumes, and all kinds of fun setups to make that 5K seem a little less ominous and that half marathon more tolerable. It isn’t just a race; it’s a great time to have fun.
5. It’s a Great Time to Raise Your Goals: Your scenery is new, the air is perfect, the temperatures are cool enough to feel good. Now is the time many set new personal records and become better runners.
So fall is here and going fast. It’s time to get out there and enjoy it. Soon enough, it’ll be winter. Happy Running!