The right surgery was done, the necessary radiation was performed, and now your prognosis is good. However, lingering impairments in movement from breast cancer treatment are common, but often go untreated. Scar tissue that may result from surgery and radiation can cause pain and restrict movement. Astym treatment can help resolve these problems, moving you toward a normal, pain-free life.
Astym treatment is provided by Astym-certified physical or occupational therapists, helps restores your movement, reduce your pain, and may reduce your risk for lymphedema.
Astym therapy addresses these conditions:
- Scar tissue/fibrosis around the incision site and radiated tissues
- Restricted movement and pain resulting from surgery and radiation
- Tightness of the chest wall, shoulder, neck and arm pit areas
- Hypersensitivity of soft tissues commonly experienced by breast cancer survivors
- Muscle imbalances and general deconditioning
Claire Davies, PT, DPT, CLT-LANA, a renowned physical therapist who specializes in women’s health, has led research on Astym therapy in breast cancer survivors, and has published research findings showing the success of Astym therapy in post-mastectomy patients. Dr. Davies also speaks publicly on Astym therapy’s value in the treatment of breast cancer survivors.
If you would like to locate an Astym-certified provider near you to schedule an evaluation/consultation, please visit the Find a Provider section of the Astym therapy website.